Sunday, August 14, 2011

Temptation, thy name is Easy Access

Total Calories: 0. - 2:30am

I went to bed last night at 9:30pm. Got about 2 hours worth of sleep between then and  2:30am, so I was feeling incredibly groggy. Made a peanut butter sandwich and grabbed a water, and ate it on the ten minute drive into work. +1 for me, PB sandwich is relatively low calorie while being fatty enough to help make you feel full and still have some protein.
Total Calories: 200. - 2:50am

I pop into work at 3, and get into the cooler at 3:10, and what do I find there but a nice helping of Tiger Stripe cake sitting out, knife there, already sampled, and demanding I eat some. I lose all self control and scarf down 2 thin slices of it before pulling myself together. I had to get rid of it: out of sight out of mind. I put it on the top shelf, and being above my eye level, was much easier to ignore. That little failure probably added another 200 calories to my already 200 calories from the peanut butter sandwich.
Total Calories: 400. - 3:15am

Throughout most of the work shift, I keep myself relatively under control, catching a lot of those moments where out of habit I'd pick up a piece of whatever (cookie, pastry, chocolate) that had broken off of that item, and just toss it back without a thought. Because of how quickly I move combined with the habitual movements, I missed a few, having already ate the item before realizing it. Given that I ate what amounted to about 50 calories of bits of food, I'm going to call that a major success.
Total Calories: 450.- 5:30am

5:30am, I was starving. I went and bought a can of peas and ate it. Tick off another 200 calories for the day. After that, keeping my sanity was quite a bit easier. Drinking lots of water helped a lot too, giving that stuffed feeling that keeps me from eating more. I managed to make it through the rest of the shift and get home at 9am and get some more sleep.
Total Calories: 650.- 9am

I woke up at noon and made an egg McMuffin. 3 eggs are 240 calories, so total calories is about 300. After this thing I've got right now, I expect to crunch through the workout in about an hour and a half.
Total Calories: 950. - 12:30pm

***********

Dinner was a piece of fish cooked in some sort of onion and butter, with a side of mashed potatoes and green beans. The old diet doesn't allow for carb heavy stuff such as mashed potatoes, but I've found over the years that only rice and LARGE portions of pasta seem to affect me in terms of gaining weight. I'd tack the total calories of dinner at about 400 calories, despite how bad it sounds.
Total Calories: 1400 - 6:30pm

As promised, I started the workouts today. While it's easier for me to just pass you along to the belly off workout on men's health, so that you can see what it entails, here's the basic structure of the program: every week has 3 weekday workouts called A B and C, all different workouts, and all followed by about 15 minutes of cardio. The fourth workout of the week is a measurement workout, where you test your strength and endurance as quickly as possible. Each week, the difficulty of the A B and C workouts increase, as well as the end of week workout, which keep pushing you and keep you from plateauing. Perhaps most importantly, all the workouts are geared at using your own bodyweight, so you don't need weights or machines, just your body, a floor, some old phone books or a non rolling chair, and a rolling chair or ab crunching ball (medicine ball?). Your nearby park has all the bars and benches you might need for chin ups and such, so that's helpful too if you don't happen to have those at home.
 
I started week 1 of the workout today. I feel pretty crappy right now, just goes to show how out of shape I am. So what was the workout?

Warmup: 
2 sets of - 10 squats, 10 pushups, 10 lunges, 10 mountain climbers, 10 waiter's bows, 10 stick ups. 30 seconds rest between sets.
Superset 1:
3 sets of  - 10 shoulder press, 24 step ups, 1 minute rest between sets
Superset 2:
3 sets of - 16 RDL, 20 mountain climbers, 1 minute rest between sets
Superset 3:
2 sets of - 10 inverted rows, 20 pushups, 1 minute rest between sets ( I skipped the inverted rows, as I don't have a place to do these, but the pushups are harder anyways )
Interval Cardio:
Warmup for 3 minutes
6 sets of - 30 seconds hard paced cardio, 30 seconds easy paced cardio. ( I like to jumprope, as I can still watch TV, but mostly because I loathe running. In terms of swimming, this equates to a sprint 50 then easy 25 repeated 6 times. )
Cooldown for 3 minutes.

Total time to complete: roughly 40 minutes.

Week 1, Day 1 complete. Here comes Week 1, Days 2, 3, and 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment